The ECAT-2091S stepper motor controller is a cost-effective, two-phase bipolar stepper driver. The ECAT-2091S’ motor voltage ranges between 5 and 46V DC and a peak motor coil current of 1.5A without cooling is being supported. When operating in a properly ventilated environment (cooling fan) the ECAT-2091S can drive the axis at a current level of up to 2.0A. The maximum running motor current, microstep resolution and other motion parameters are software selectable.
The ECAT-2091S is a standard EtherCAT slave and an EtherCAT master is required to operate the device. The ECAT-2091S supports three operation modes: Free-Run, SM synchron and Distributed Clock (DC).
Two-phase bipolar stepper motors can be directly connected to the ECAT-2091S device. The ECAT-2019S is designed to operate in an open loop. Configuration and motion control has to be done by the EtherCAT master and the application program. The coil current and step control done by a stepper motor driver IC. An integrated ramp generator automatically calculates the acceleration and deceleration distance. In position mode the controller drives the motor to the target position and in velocity mode accelerates the motor to the target velocity. A minimum set of configuration data consists of acceleration, deceleration and maximum motion velocity. After receiving the target position the motor driver starts controlling the motion movement. All motion parameters can be changed on the fly.
The ECAT-2091S has a 32 bit high frequency encoder counter which counts the input signal of an external incremental encoder. The encoder can for example be used for homing purposes and for consistency checks.
High resolution of up to 256 microsteps per full step is supported for a ensuring smooth and precise motor operation.
Two digital input channels are provided. The digital inputs can be set to act as a simple DI, as a left and right hardware limit switch which automatically stops the motor when activated, or a latch trigger for latching the current motor and encoder position.
The module must be supplied by two power sources. A motor supply and a 24Vdc control supply.
- 1 x stepper motor (2-phase bipolar stepper motor)
- Drive capability up to 1.5A coil current (with proper cooling and airflow up to 2.0A)
- Voltage range of the motor: 5 to 46VDC
- 1 x 5V power supply for encoder. Limitation: the output current should not exceed 150mA
- 1 x Encoder interfaces (A, B, Z), differential
- 2x Digital input: Reference switch input, latch input
- 1x Digital output
- Highest resolution: 256 microsteps per full step
- Automatic current reduction to reduce heat when motor is not moving
- Over-temperature protection
- Optically isolated I/O
- LED indicators for I/O, EtherCAT and motion status
- 2 x RJ-45 bus interface
- Distance between stations up to 100 m (100BASE-TX)
- Support daisy chain connection
- EtherCAT conformance test tool verified
- Supports Free-Run, SM synchron and Distributed Clock (DC) operation modes
- Removable terminal block connector