The ECAN-240 is a Modbus TCP, 2-port CAN Bus Gateway Module. The module communicates via the Ethernet based on the Modbus TCP industrial protocol, allowing easy integration with an industrial network. ECAN-240 includes 2-port CAN bus interfaces, allowing multiple CAN applications to be supported, such as a CAN bridge or a CAN message router. With the CAN message router functionality, the module allows four different CAN networking to be connected ensuring communication with each other.
- Supports input voltage 10~30VDC
- Fully compatible with the ISO 11898-2 standard
- Includes built-in DIP-switch the can be used to enable/disable the terminator resistor
- Includes an RJ-45 Ethernet interface with auto-negotiation function
- Includes two CAN bus interfaces with 9 pin D-sub connector
- Includes two rotary switches for selection of CAN bus Baud Rate
- Contains seven LED indicators, one as a power indicator and the others for monitoring CAN bus activity
- Contains LED indicator on RJ-45 for Ethernet status
- RoHS Design
- Provides support for the CAN bus ID filter function
- Provides support for the CAN bus bridge mode via configuration
- Provides support for the CAN bus listen only mode via configuration
- Provides support for a range of CAN bus Baud Rate from 10k bps to 1M bps adjustable via the rotary switch
- Provides support for the Modbus TCP Client/Server function via configuration
- Provides support for TCP/UDP pair connection function via configuration
- Provides support for bootloader mode to enable firmware updates
- Provides support for web configuration functions
Modbus TCP Server:
The Modbus TCP Server function is used to implement communications between a CAN device and a Modbus TCP Client. When the ECAN-240 module is acting as a Modbus TCP Server, the Modbus TCP Client needs to use Modbus commands based on the CAN format in order to access the ECAN-240 module. The ECAN-240 module will then translate these commands into CAN format messages and send them to the CAN networks. Similarly, when a CAN format message is received from the CAN network, the ECAN-240 translates the message into Modbus format, which can then be accessed using a Modbus command.
Modbus TCP Client:
The Modbus TCP Client function is used to implement communications between a CAN Bus and a Modbus TCP Server. When the ECAN-240 module is acting as a Modbus TCP Client, it can access the Modbus TCP Server via the command configuration. When the ECAN-240 module receives I/O data, it will forward it to the remote CAN devices for analysis, control, or other operations. Once configured, the ECAN-240 module is also able to access the Modbus TCP Server via a CAN message.
The Pair Connection function is used to implement communication between two ends of CAN network. CAN Network #1 can communicate with CAN Network #3 or CAN Network #4 using pair connection configuration. Similarly, CAN Network #2 can also communicate with CAN Network #3 or CAN Network #4 in the same manner. The pair connection function on the ECAN-240 module is implemented via either the TCP or the UDP protocol.
The Transparent option is to see as a half-pair connections. The TCP/UDP packet is in CAN format and contains the CAN ID. This is useful because it allows custom TCP/UDP programs to be developed that can directly access the ECAN-240 module for specific applications.
CAN Bus Interface
9-pin D-sub male
10k bps to 1M bps
Built-in 120 ohm terminator resistor, enabled/disabled via DIP-Switch
3 kV VDC for DC to DC, 2500 Vrms for photo couple
CAN Bus Specification
ISO 11898-2 CAN 2.0A and CAN 2.0B
10/100Base-TX Ethernet Controller (Auto-negotiating, Auto_MDIX)
RJ-45 with Ethernet indictor
Modbus TCP Client/Server, TCP, UDP, HTTP
8 for TCP, 1 for UDP
Power (1), CAN Bus Status (2), CAN Bus Tx (2), CAN Bus Rx (2)
Ethernet Status (RJ-45) (2)
Unregulated +10 ~ +30 VDC
Reverse polarity protection, Over-voltage brown-out protection
0.08 @24VDC, 2W
Dimension (W x L x H)
106.8mm x 146.8mm x 25.9mm
-25°C to +75°C
-40°C to +80°C
10 to 90% RH, Non-condensing
Customers who bought this item also purchased the following items.
7 Channel Surge Prot...
9-pin Female D-sub &...
EMI Ferrite Split,Sn...
Modbus RTU to CAN co...
CAN Ethernet Gateway...
CAN to Ethernet , Mo...
Modbus TCP Server , ...